VISA requirements for Australia
- A valid passport or travel document for you and each accompanying family member.
- You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Australia.
- You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Australia and
- Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Australia.
- You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination for residence of some countries and territory. Except those from Belgium or Norway, all students are obliged to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). You may purchase this cover through your university, or directly from one of the five approved providers: Australian Health Management, BUPA Australia, Medibank Private, Allianz Global Assistance and nib OSHC. The cost of this health insurance cover will vary depending on the provider and how long you purchase cover for.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Australia. You may have to provide a police certificate.
- If you’re not from an English-speaking country (and haven’t completed at least five years’ study in an English-speaking country) you’ll need to prove you can speak English to the required level. The DIBP website lists eligible tests, with possibilities being the IELTS, TOEFL iBT, Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic, and Cambridge Advanced English (CAE). The score you will need will depend on whether you are starting a full degree, doing a foundation course, or enrolling on a preliminary English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).
- You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Australia at the end of your authorized stay.
Australian student visa documents
The DIBP website has a document checklist feature that will provide you with a list of documents required for your specific circumstances. Typically, students must submit the following:
- Completed Australian student visa application form (157A)
- Paid visa application fee– currently AU$550 (~US$420 in most cases)
- Copy of passport bio data page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
- Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
- Evidence of sufficient funds
- Evidence of health insurance cover
- English proficiency test results
- Criminal record check results
- Four recent passport-sized photographs